DAVID LAHEY 1858-1942

David Lahey, along with his ten siblings and parents Francis and Alicia Lahey, came to Australia on the barque “Bellissima” in 1862.

They first settled in Brisbane, where David, the youngest child, attended Sherwood State School. The family moved to Pimpama in 1872 where he continued his schooling.

David married Jane Jemima Walmsley on June 11, 1881. Between 1882 and 1901 they had 12 children, four daughters and eight sons, one of whom died in early infancy.

While at Pimpama, his father Francis Lahey, bought a saw-mill at Tygum, near Waterford, in 1876 for his sons to operate. 

Here David was the saw sharpener, boiler stoker and engine driver.

The next necessity was the supply of pine logs for their mill. 

Among the pine logs received at Tygum some had come from the Canungra district, being hauled there by bullock teams. In conversation with the supplier of these logs, John Duncan, Laheys learnt that in that district, Pine Creek near Canungra, there were great acres of pine carrying scrub. 

In 1884 four Lahey brothers, including David, rode and inspected the area, following which it was decided to select three thousand acres of crown land.

Following a talk amongst the brothers for a proposed saw mill at Canungra, David was entrusted with designing the two principle saw benches, the layout of the mill, purchase of the steam engines, boilers etc. and the erection of the mill. 

The land for the sawmill was leased from Robert Christie.

On October 2, 1884, David arrived and took up his duties at Canungra putting all the mill equipment into operation. 

The first order for timber, pine boards for the building of a home for Edwin Franklin, were sawn before the Christmas of 1884.

David and his growing family lived for a time in Brisbane where David served on the Sherwood Local Council. 

Previously he was on the Coomera Divisional Board from 1891-1894. 

In later years when he lived in Canungra he was on the Tambourine Shire Council (which included the Canungra district) from 1901-1939.

The Canungra Sawmill was destroyed by fire twice and each time David was tasked with the rebuild. 

When Laheys decided to build their own Tramway (railway) to bring logs from the Pine Creek (Coomera) Valley to the mill, David, holding a steam engine ticket, became the first Engine Driver.

David and his wife Jane spent their last years in Canungra. 

The house where they lived in Kidston Street has a story of its own but that’s for another time.

Both David and Jane are buried in the Canungra Cemetery.

South of town on the Darlington Range between the Coomera and Sarabah valleys is Mt David. 

This mountain’s name has been known in the district for over 100 years. 

However, it has never been officially acknowledged as such by Local and State Governments. 

The Canungra & District Historical Association has been working with the Queensland State Government for nearly three years to have the mountain, and its connection to David Lahey officially recognised. 

The naming process, just like any mountain, is a big hill to climb.

So, during the upcoming Canungra Show on Saturday August 22, we invite you to come and share your family’s stories with us, the Canungra & District Historical Association. 

Look for us in the Fine Arts Pavilion. 

The post DAVID LAHEY 1858-1942 appeared first on The Canungra Times.